Photo Credit to the Gunnison Country Times.
The Little Blue Canyon Construction project, between mile posts 123 and 127, was originally set on April 12th, but since the weather was not ideal for construction, there were a few delays. The project now began on April 26th.
This construction and maintenance project will be quite a big one and is scheduled to be completed in November 2022. The Colorado Department of Transportation is determined to pursue it to provide safety features to the section of highway between Gunnison and Montrose. The road maintenance doesn’t directly affect Crested Butte or Gunnison, however; the only way someone is affected is if they travel to Montrose on that particular highway.
The project as per the Colorado website will provide:
- Wider shoulders
- Improve roadway alignment
- Stabilize slopes by installing rockfall catchment fence and utilizing other methods
- Replace guardrail
- Improve sight lines, and
- Improve safety throughout the canyon corridor
With that said, the community is a little concerned, and I too have been getting my fair share of inquiries from people and clients about this project. But I think since a lot of people have been working at home, social distancing, and with the off season going on, it will not affect people too much. Although, we can expect traffic in the affected area, from time to time.
Image credit to Crested Butte News.
On the table above, we can see a visual graph of what to expect everyday culminating to its completion on November 22.
- During the weekdays from April 2021 through April 2022, at 8:30 am – 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm – 5:30 pm and at 7:30 pm – 6:30 am, there will be a full roadway closure.
- During the weekdays from May 2022 through November 2022, at 6:30 am to 8:30 am, 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm, 5:30 – 7:30 pm, these are the times where there will only be one single lane, or alternating operations going on.
- Take note that the Green colored dates and times refer to everyday from when the construction starts, April 26 until when the construction is completed, on November 22.
- On Mondays at 6:30 am to 8:30 am, the road will open for two-way traffic.
- Same goes for Friday at 7:30 pm – 6:30 am, the road will open for a two-way traffic.
- It seems that during the weekends, the roads are open to two-way traffic without delays.
For further information about the project, reach out to the us50info.com website.
If you are thinking about making a real estate purchase, or if you are ready to sell, I’m here and ready to work with you, from beginning to end. I will be available to provide virtual tours and virtual meetings, where I can answer any questions that you may have about Crested Butte and the surrounding communities.
Our doors are open! Come visit us in the office from Monday through Friday. Who do you know that wants to buy or sell a property? Let Heather Woodward Realtor® help. You can contact Heather on her cell phone (970) 596-1394 or send her an email at Heather@HeatherWoodwardRealtor.com.